Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Capret Cleaner

I came across a website on how to remove pet stains from your carpet....well they were doing it all by hand, and that I did not want to do, because I did not know where the exactness of the stain/smell was, and did not want to buy a black light like they recommended to find it. So what I did was cleaned with the shampooer, and modified the recipe.

If one is having issues with pet accidents/odors...NEVER CLEAN WITH AMMONIA, especially if you have a cat. The smell of the ammonia=the smell of animal's urine. With that being stated....one should use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. The vinegar neutralizes the scent, to prevent future accidents (and I am hoping so if we decide to keep the cause of the odor that once was). I personally stuck this in the shampooer, and neutralized my whole front room....phew it smelled like pickles (but when vinegar drys, it does not smell). Then I dried with with the heating feature on the shampooer. Next I shampooed the carpet with the homemade cleaner that anyone can use.

I mixed Tide Stain Release (you can buy it in a plastic container with just the powder...I mixed with hot water till disolved), Baking Soda, and one of my essential oils. Now the house smells better, and I am relaxed from the essential oil.

Some variations to the carpet cleaner could be:

-Use liquid detergent
-Use powder detergent mixed with hot water
-A little dishwashing soap
-Shampoo (like Sauve)
-Oxy itself, or another brand

Essential Oils are limitless, just find one you like. I personally used lavender.

And if one does not have a shampooer, find someone to borrow from....The one I use is Brian's sisters....Thank you Liz it has been a life saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment