Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Laundry Tips on Clothing

Clothing items: I re-wear my hoodies, jeans, and shirts till they are dirty. I freshen up with homemade fabric freshener spray...This has saved on laundry so much! Never ever on unders, or socks, besides bras. Also speaking of unders, one should never dry underwear, boxers, and bra's....it wears the elastic! If you only chose one thing to hang dry, do these! Doing so will keep you from always having to buy because the elastic went out!

Towels: I used to be so strict about only using once and done! But when I realized I was washing at least 25 towels, 30/+ washcloths, and 3-7 hand towels a week....I thought about the impact this had on the washer, water bill, detergent, fabric softener (because I use extra with my towels), electricity, and dryer (because one cannot air dry this many towels effectively), and the environment. I came to the conclusion....I was wasting. My view now is...one takes a shower to get cleaned, when they get done, they reach for a clean towel, so when they dry the towel should only need an air-drying! My towel loads have been cut down so much, I can wash them with another load when I get some...GASP...I never use to wash towels with another load! So now I have less towels to wash, which equals many factors(all money saving); less detergent, softener, water, electricity, wear on washer, no longer using the dryer, environment happy, and my towels last longer! I also will use my towels that are sitting in the dirty pile to clean up water messes, or to give my pups crates a daily cleaning!

Children's clothes: My daughter (6 y/o) takes baths daily (I am not that cheap), so when she puts her PJ's on, she is clean, and they are too. So we get 2 wears out of PJ's. Also jeans, if they are spotless she wears again, and some shirts. I am very picky with my daughters clothes, so I do not make her re-wear many items. I feel a child should not have to feel like they are skimping or being skimpy, but should learn the basics at a young age as how to save! My daughter sees it as a learning experience and sometimes wants to try to re-wear and item that is perfectly clean, but I feel the need to wash!

These tips on clothes will save your clothes, wallet, and the environment!

More tips to come on laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment