Saturday, February 6, 2010

Laundry Tips on Detergent

Most of what I know about laundry today, I can thank my mom!


Growing up, laundry was a fond memory. I remember my mom doing at least 4-8 loads a day. She always used Tide w/ Bleach, watered down fabric softener, and no dryer sheets, hang drying whenever possible, and a secret to get stains out! Her laundry came out perfectly clean, and smelling perfect! My mom taught me a few tricks over the years, and many I still use, a few I learned the hard way, by trying cheaper (it was not in the long run), and others I have weaned away from (separating by every single color). My mom always bought name brand detergents, and softener, and managed to still save! I am amazed at how well my mom did it all!

Now on to Detergent!

Use little detergent, even less with a front loader. All depends on what you feel comfortable with. I have a top loader energy efficient washer, and I use only about 1/8 of a cup with a regular load, and ¼ of a cup with a heavy duty loads. It is actually better for your clothes to use less detergent, it does not cause a build-up, and clothing last longer. Also vinegar in the rinse cycle will remove this build-up, AND NO...will not make your clothes stink!

A guide to buying powdered detergent. Do not go by the price on the label. I did this once, and wasted money on a decent brand, thinking it was a good deal! I bought 4 boxes of Purex powder for under 12 bucks, and it lasted 2 months, and did not clean my clothes well. So I went back to my mom's voice in the back of my head, Tide w/ Bleach. It is more concentrated, and cleans so much better. I spent 15 bucks on a box, 2 months later, I still have 2/3 of a box...what a save  Sometimes you can even find coupons on Tide w/ Bleach! Also I can wash all my clothes on tap cold water, and the powder dissolves!

I cannot recommend much on liquid because I am not fond of it...it cost more, and does less. But one thing I do know, you can use less of liquid too!

If you get brave, and I am going to when my Tide w/ Bleach runs out, make your own! I am excited about this adventure! I am still researching the best recipes, so I will post later! I know you can make both powdered, and liquid.  When I do get to make mine, I am going to switch to liquid, because it last longer, and I can add essential oils to it better than powdered!

Washing soda can be used with detergent to help treat hard water.

There are many more tips, but for now that is it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment